Video : Tips for building your own self-esteem as a parent
Watch this short video to discover the importance of building your own self-esteem as a parent, so that your child’s self-esteem can blossom.
Tips for building your own self-esteem
- recognize your achievements – tell your kids what you’re good at (e.g. “Hey guys, I cooked a great supper tonight”) and keep finding ways to recognize what you are doing well
- avoid criticizing yourself – try to speak positively about yourself (e.g. “Exercise is good for me, even when I’m lazy, so here I go!”)
- practice regular self-care – take care of your health, set aside some time each week for fun things that you really enjoy (e.g. read a book, learn a new skill, go for a walk or have a relaxing bath)
- spend time with friends – who are positive and support you, rather than those that drain your energy and are constantly critical or negative
- replace guilt feelings and perfectionism with ‘good enough’ – whenever we feel guilty that we’re not performing well it takes it’s toll on our self-esteem. Learn to tell yourself that you are “good enough” (especially when you’re feeling guilty for taking time for much needed self care)